Saturday, July 28, 2007

God is All


I just got back from the training at our church and I am so tired that all I want to do is cry. Now I know how babies feel. I never understood why they cried.....lol and now I know... As a personal Sarah Saenz policy I don't ever keep track of how many hours I work, but curosity got a strong hold on me and after refusing to let go, I just HAD to count. My little sister used to say, 'my arm made me do it.' I worked 35.5 hours this week at church and then come home to paint/clean/pack until about 11-12:00 every night and then wake up early and start all over again. Nobody made me work that much, but I am so driven.... I am tired, exhausted, and too wound up to sleep at night, so I sit. I think of the Israelites and their adventure to the Holy Lands. I am sure their feet hurt and they were just as exhausted and tired as I am. While I have my soft bed to toss and turn in, they had sand. After an eternity of wandering around, they crossed the Jordan with Joshua as their fearless leader. As they crossed the river, the high waters gathered at one side to allow God's people to cross safely. Reluctantly, they crossed, children most likely close to their parents sides, pondering on the "what if's" of their strange journey. Once safely across, one member of each tribe gathered a rock from the empty riverbed to place on dry land as a reminder of what God has done for them. We may not have rocks from the river bed, but our house has given us 12 reasons to be thankful.
1. We are thankful that we even got the house. Because Steve's income is so small we only qualified for a $50,000 loan. We tried everywhere, but no bank or institution was willing to give us much more. Finally, we went to God, and God gave us Angel who gave us the gift of a loan big enough to buy the house.
2. What, what? After our agent reassured us we were good, we were given 3 days to come up with $1,000. No dice for us! God gave us Steve's cousin who loaned us the money and was super patient with us as we paid him back.
3. We are thankful for our Sunday school class moved us out of the apartment and into our home, and helped us to clean the apartment.
4. After a few months living on cold cement, Sam and Angela Brown put carpet into our new home.....and we still can't thank them enough.
5. We are thankful for my pal Jenny who made our house a home by hanging up our pictures and decorating our house for us.
6. We are thankful for Kathy Suel who brought us meat and food from her garden when our cupboards were bare.
7. We are thankful for all of our old youth who came over weekly for a hot meal and warm hearts....and the Sarah Saenz laundry service.
8. We are thankful for the lessons we've been able to teach Nathan about God through all of the ways our house has blessed us.
9. We are thankful for being able to teach others about God by welcoming them into our home and giving them things they need.
10. We are thankful for Mr Burleson who fixed our air conditioning.
11. We are thankful for all of the great memories we've had in this house, for Kalea learning to walk here and for all of her teeth she cut on our windowsill. We are thankful for the nights Nathan has spent on our couch learning how to read and for the million games of hide-and-go seek we've played.
12. We are thankful that we will be able to pass this house on to another family who will be blessed with a big house for a small price. Perhaps they will be like us, unable to afford a different house, but so thankful and so very blessed by this brick house in the ghetto.

3 comments:

Carpio Family said...

I so didn't know you blogged. I'm so happy to see your obedient heart. Getting to know you this past year was amazing. I'm so glad i was Kalea's Teacher. I'm sad to see your sweet family go. But I wish you all the best and we'll be praying for you.

Kaylene Carpio

brickmomma said...

Love the list of your blessings!

Completely feel your exhaustion! I hadn't worked this hard or long in 4 yrs+ and I too, counted up my hours....39 plus the home stuff, whew!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your exhaustion! This too will pass! :o)

I get the feeling your house was blessed to have your rawkin' family living in it! It was filled with so much love for the years you were there.

Take lots of pictures! I know I cherish the ones I took of the rooms in our old house. It's a way to encapsulate (is that a word???) a period of time. For us, our tuba player was 18 months old and the sole child in the house when we moved. It was our first house. It was the place where we first painted and fixed it up together (a former rental and over 50 years old when we bought it) and where we brought our first baby home. The memories we made in it was what was most special about that house. I bawled like a baby after we signed the final papers to sell it. I felt ridiculous, but so much of us was in that house...so many good memories!

Another Novel By...

Quiltermama ;-)

Love Ya!!!