Saturday, July 14, 2007

Barbinaska


Unless you have a child in the youth group, you probably have no idea what "barbinaska" is. If you get a chance, ask one (a youth that is) or me to explain barbinaska in all it's glory.
I just got back from Baylor (yea!). I packed my I-Pod and prepared for a weekend with my closest pals all packed up in that tiny box. I was ready for boring lectures and a night of people snoring. At Methodist children's conferences, it's a day with a bunch of ladies who are preaching last years lessons and internet ideas that have been recycled over and over and over again. There are the plain-jane, semi warm boxed lunches of ham sandwiches, old mayo, a stale cookie and dry pickle. This conference, however, was amazing. The future teachers and assistants I went with were amazing and fun (and a little lost at times :o) ) The speakers were amazing and for the first time ever, I really and truely feel fully equipt to teach music. I have so many new ideas and theories that I cannot wait to try out. I am just exploding with the joy of teaching, because this will be the first year that I will really and truely feel comfortable and prepared in what I will be doing in both Day School and AWANAs Cubbies.
This is also the first time ever that I have left Kalea overnight to do something that's not band related. It felt so great to crawl out of my tired mommy skin and just be a real person for two days. I love my babies so much and missed them terribly, but it sure was great to have a good long break. Steve couldn't handle having the kids for much longer, so he ended up meeting me at Bayor after the conferene. We used our zoo passes to go to the Cameron Park Zoo for a quick run through before it closed. Nathan was so sweet and allowed me to hold his hand the entire time. Kalea was acting like a two year old, but that was ok too, because she won't be two forever and someday I'll miss it...ok not so much the screaming and kicking and trying to be in control of EVERYTING, but the rest of it.
Steve got a promising e-mail after an interview he just had. Pray hard ladies, because he may have a job by next week. :o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always LOVED Baylor training! pretty campus, huh :-) If you walked alot, lost, you got to see it. Glad you got to go and enjoyed it! Nicole

brickmomma said...

didn't realize you went to baylor... i would have asked you abou it this am...glad it was fun! and the zoo, too? wow!!

Anonymous said...

"...screaming and kicking and trying to be in control of EVERYTHING..."

...OH, does that stop at 2? LOL!

I'll keep ya'll in my prayers! I hope to hear good news soon...I don't tend to ask, because I remember how it felt when people would ask if my husband found a job yet when he was laid off for several months.

I am glad that you had a nice training time and break! You're an awesome teacher already, and I know you'll be bringing some exciting lessons this year!!!

Mucho Hugs!!!

Jessica