Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Recycling Bin that Went to China


When my older sister and I were young we would spend hours in front of the TV watching the old movie, Calamity Jane. We watched it so much in fact that we not only knew all of the words, but each dance and movement by heart. If you were here with me right now, I would jump up on the bar and sing "Just got back from the windy city......" OK, maybe not a bar persay, but perhaps a table. It was SOOOOO windy yesterday that every time Kalea and I went out, she would yell, 'HOLD ON MOMMY!!!' After I explained to her that Mary Poppins blew away on a windy day, she started yelling "HOLD ON MARY POPPINS MOMMY!!!!" We went to Tom Thumb and Kalea blew away in the cart when I was trying to unlock the door. I could hear her laughing and out of the corner of my eye I saw her blowing away. Much to her delight, a bag boy saved her before she traveled too far. Then we went to Walmart where the wind was so fierce that it blew the powerlines down. Kalea and I shopped in the dark and were amazed that generations past are still programed to stop talking when the lights go out. The store was filled with silent shoppers united in the effort of a one stop shop. Kalea and I got half way through the store when I heard yelling and everyone heading for the front of the store. The employees in an effort to close down the store, had all gathered in the back and were slowing moving forward life guard style, herding us towards the front to 'check out and get out' as the gruff smoker of a lady told me. I got to the end of the isle and looked to my right at the mile long line of people checking out and then to my left at the much needed milk just sitting there staring back at me from the back of the store. The 'road' looked clear and I decided to make a run for the milk. I got half way towards it when about three Walmart employees jumped out from the isle and tackled me to the ground. My purse went flying and Kalea and the cart crashed into the chip display sending it crashing to the ground! Ok maybe not.....but the three Walmart employees did pop out of the isle and yelled at me. No milk for my babies....... :o( When we got home, we found that our garbage can full of trash had blown away as did our Recylcing Bin and all of it's contents. The can mysteriously made it back to our house, but our recycling bin is no where to be found. Perhaps the wind will change direction tomorrow and our bin will return from it's adventure.

2 comments:

Carpio Family said...

How funny is it i could so see that sweet girl laughing as she blew away in the grocery cart. Good job Cart Boy!

Becky said...

Me too! I got a full mental picture of that! I've been afraid of that happening here lately but, I remember those winds up there...being farther north!!