Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Princess is Down

Nathan in Steve's shorts about three years ago......

My mom bought Kalea a treasure chest full of princess costumes for her birthday. It arrived Tuesday night before bed time. It's arrival goes something like this:

Steve: Was that the door?

Me: I don't know, but don't answer it. (I am slightly paranoid)

Steve: It's some guy.

Me: Don't answer it if he has a gun.

Steve: .......But I am curious......OOoooOOo he left something!

Me: Is it a gun?

Steve: I dunno, but I am curious.....

He opens the door to find the arrival of costumes and toys. The kids don't have much time to play before they are shipped off to bed, so the next morning I awake to find a fevered princess on the couch decked out in full princess gear from crown to high heels (with PJs still on and peeking out from underneath her dresses). I could tell she didn't feel well, but HAD to put on her costume before she collapsed onto the couch. I spent most of the day holding and rocking her and trying to teach her how to blow her nose. I tried everything from a very mom-like demonstration, to telling her to pretend to blow her birthday candles out with her nose. I never saw a single drip. It all got sucked down into her tummy. She'd make a good vacuum.



Updates:

Nathan- is doing very well in school. He actually likes it. Steve can't go down the hallway without another teacher stopping him to tell him how hilarious Nathan is. Everyone wants to adopt him and take him home. We did find out that he is 4 levels behind in reading, so all of you who have kids in Bryan schools, beware. He was right on target in Bryan.



Kalea- is a princess down. She has been sick for two days, but by the time the boys come home, she has gained new life and is suddenly fine...... Nathan has been keeping her in a box as his pet mouse and feeding her snacks that he snuck out of the kitchen. She happily squeaks and pokes her head up occasionally to be petted.



Steve-had plans to start working out and we all know that when you have plans to work out, you get sick and that's exactly what happened. He went to school anyway to spread all of his joy.... I mean germs to the rest of the school. Other than being sick, he's doing well. His classroom drama is better than the show Passions so it's been fun to hear all of his stories after school.



Me- I got offered two jobs this week and turned them both down. One of the jobs seemed really great and the pay would have been abundant, but the hours would have made it so I wouldn't be able to see Nathan at all during the week. I can't give up the privilege to raise my own children. Since being unemployed doesn't pay much, I up'd my game as a wife and our marriage has been amazing. Steve even started making the bed and cleaning his side of the room on the weekends! Thanks to a generous donation from my parents, I am currently working on my teaching certification. I take my TExES test in Bryan on February 11th (there were very few testing sites here in the big city, and the available testing dates didn't fit in with my schedule), so I may come by and say 'hey' to everyone.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Hey! I am so glad for the update! I check often! Glad to hear all is going well, but for princess girl being puny. Anna just had a little of that--check my new blog!!
Anna got that same princess chest for her b/d from my sister. I will post a pic on my blog for you and K to see. Send us one of her when she is better!
Really miss having you around!
Congrats on working on your certificate!!!
xo, B

Anonymous said...

ooohhhh you can stay with us! that's awesome about your teaching certificate!!!!

brickmomma said...

What a news-y post. Thanks!

We are also sick at the Brickhaus, the flu, round 2. We are all taking tamiflu, fun stuff.

I think you are right, no money is worth missing your babes all the time........good job.

And cool about your teaching certificate, those are the best hours for working mommas.

Come say hello if you can....

Jennifer said...

Hey, Sarah. I added you to my blog link. Thanks Becky for showing me how. Are you doing an online certification like I Teach Texas or something like that?? Let me know how that goes. Say hello to the princess Kale-lah as Ashton says. We miss her...and MiMi.