Monday, June 16, 2008

There's No Charge for Awesomeness....

View from our Retreat Center

I am not really in a bloggy sort of mood, but I feel like I should probably write something.....

Steve and I just came back from a Capturing Kids Hearts Conference. It's all about how kids don't care about what you know until they know that you care. It was pretty good, but what was even better was the fact that Steve and I got to spend three days straight together without our beautiful babies. It's been 4 years since the last Steve and Sarah Retreat, and just being together without the constant diversion of our kiddos was amazing. The thing that really bothered me though was the amount of people who told me in the stillness of secrecy that we were an inspiration to them, that their marriage was on the brink and that they were just about to give up. I got whispered complements, scribbled down notes in my bag telling me that out of everything taught at the conference, Steve and I were what inspired them most, and people cornering me in the bathroom to ask me marriage advice. It really made me think about our 8 years of marriage and the rapid growth and change that we've gone through within the last 5 and a half months. The change didn't happen over night, it took me changing everything about how I thought about love and marriage and most of all my commitment to Steve. It took me forgiving Steve and tossing away my mara/bitterness and recommiting to that promise I made to God a million years ago. I didn't try to change Steve, Steve changed in reaction to God working through me and the changes that he saw in my life. While we are not perfect, we are working on setting a good example for our children. Something that made the biggest difference was the journal that we now keep. Every night before I go to bed, I write Steve a love letter affirming who he is and why I love him. Every morning he wakes up, reads it, and writes to me with words of love and affirmation. The words he has said and the gift he has given me through them has carried me through the toughest times. I may be a girl without friends up here, but I am a girl who is loved by a man and that means so much to me.

2 comments:

brickmomma said...

wow- what a cool idea! i love the journal idea!!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah!!!!!! This is Krystal Deleon!I am so glad that I found you guys and am so gald that things are going well. You have no idea how much I miss you guys and just hate not seeing you around. I will be in "your town" next month and would love to see you guys! I'll post back later to see if we can catch up! Lov ya!